The fund (offered by First Point Dorset, via YouTrust) is for situations in which individuals or families face an immediate risk to their health and safety and all other avenues of support have been exhausted.
Only those facing specific circumstances will be eligible:
- fleeing a situation of domestic violence
- recently left institutionalised care
- exceptional pressure (for example, victim of a non preventable disaster - house fire, flood)
- age 18 +
- Dorset resident (excluding Bournemouth Poole and Christchurch)
- not subject to immigration controls
- not a current resident of a care home or hospital inpatient
- not be a prisoner/person lawfully detained or on release under temporary license
Categories covered include:
- essential white goods
- bed/cot and bedding
- emergency utilities
- foodbank referral/emergency food parcel
Funding is provided through payment cards distributed by Dorset Council.
The process is:
Applications are only accepted via telephone.
Telephone number: 0330 1234 225
Opening hours: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If eligible an applicant will be advised of what they are eligible for and how the grant process will proceed.
All grants, other than those for utilities or food bank referrals, will need to be verified and supported by a professional organisation working with an applicant, such as:
- Housing Association
- Health Visitor
- Social Worker
Items are funded through a pre-paid card by a company called All Pay. The card will be loaded with the approved value and the card is posted to the claimant with a letter on how to use it and a unique PIN. The applicant is given 14 days to spend it. Any amount left on the card after that date is recovered from the card and recovered.
Cards cannot be exchanged for cash. Proof of purchase is required for goods funded by Dorset Council emergency local assistance.
Applications will be assessed against strict eligibility criteria. The applicant must be aged 18 and over, and a resident of Dorset.