A child or young person aged from 0 to 25 years has special educational needs or disability (SEND) if they: 

  • have a learning difficulty or disability which makes it much harder for them to learn than other pupils of the same age
  • they require special educational provision to be made for them

SEN is a legal term. A detailed description can be found in the SEND Code of Practice (SEN on page 15 and disability on page 16). Or you can read the easy-read version of the SEND Code of Practice from Mencap.

Who can help

Find out who you can talk to and what to say if you think your child may have SEND.

Find out what a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) is and how they could help you

Different types of special educational needs or disability (SEND)

Children with SEND may need extra help or support, or special provision made for them to have the same opportunities of other children of their age. 

Most children and young people with SEND attend their local, mainstream school. 

The 4 areas of need according to the SEND Code of Practice

If your child has a SEND, their needs will fall into one or more of the following 4 areas:

Communication and interaction needs

Children and young people might:

  • struggle to talk or say what they want to 
  • find it hard to understand what other people are saying
  • find conversations and play confusing or challenging

Cognition and learning difficulties

Children and young people might:

  • learn at a slower pace than others
  • find the curriculum difficult
  • struggle with organisation and memory
  • have a specific difficulty, for example, in literacy or numeracy

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Children and young people might:

  • find relationships difficult
  • appear withdrawn or isolated
  • behave in ways that affect their learning, for example, being disruptive
  • do things that impact on their health and wellbeing

Sensory and/or physical needs

Children and young people might have a disability such as:

  • a visual and/or hearing impairment
  • a physical difficulty

They may find it hard to access a school because of their disability. This means they might need extra support or specialist equipment. 

SEND terms and wording

Use the SEND Family Support website's jargon busters page to help you understand some of the terms people might use when talking about SEND.